Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Summer is flying by....

Hard to believe it is the middle of June! Summer school is in full swing for Matt. Halfway through the first week. He is not liking it as much as last year-this teacher gives homework and has 23 rules that must be followed which include nothing on students heads except hair. Matt is only working one day a week(or one evening), so he fills his time with the texting of friends and video games and being sullen.

Kristen is a hormonal diva one day and my sweet child the next. She is practicing her multitasking skills by texting, IMing and emailing her friends at the same time. They have played the scene it game several times when I mandate them playing a nonvideo game. I must specify a non-electronic game next time. Band camp for her will start for her on 7/28. They are both hoping for a couple weeks in Pennsylvania away from the 'rents. Grand 'rents, please respond to the dates I gave you ASAP, so flights can be booked.

Sabrina is still neurotic, but has given up the deck as a suitable butt scratching venue.

Randy is still fishing in the evenings. In fact he is going to be eating a crappie fish for his dinner tonight.

Now if you prefer to look at life through Rose colored glasses and want to have a pollyanna attitude that everything is right in the world, read no further. You have been warned.



Today was extremely frustrating for me. I got an email late last night from one of the library clerks that her principal is assigning her to be a secretary/attendance clerk from 9-12:30 and can only work in the library from 12:30-3pm. From 10-12:30 the library will be staffed by a slew of parent volunteers. Who knows what happens from 7:30-10am. This is so far away from best practice, it is almost as though someone made it up.

Later today, I got a call from someone who obviously follows his SFB method of administrating stating he wanted to take his library in a new direction with his new library clerk.(Danger, Danger we are Defcon 1 go the alarms in my head. He has hired a retired AP from another state who "understands schedules and flowcharts". No library experience-he taught PE. Lot in common there. Not sure what I am supposed to teach him or what mentor to assign him or even how to interact with him. My biggest fear is that the students at this school will not even by taught basic library skills.

While I was on the phone with this principal, our superintendent showed up to hand deliver a greeting card to someone who I guess is a friend of his who is substituting for someone on medical leave. OF COURSE, he shows up when everyone is gone to a once a month birthday lunch. After I got off the phone, I handled that for him. Apparently, he was wandering around the building trying to find someone who knew where this person was.

I ended the day by finding out that all except one curriculm coordinator have bailed on the new director. So we have a new director as well as math coordinator, literacy coordinator and Title 1 coordinator.

Very frustrating day. I am frustrated that any of these events could happen. The libraries are obviously not a priority for administration no matter what they say. Can I do anything to change this attitude? I don't know. At some point, should I just say UNCLE and get a job somewhere where I can make a difference? I don't know. I have the job responsibilites of a coordinator, am not recognized for it nor am I reimbursed for it. I could have a similar job in a different part of the state for a starting pay of $20,000.00 more than I am making now. Unfortunately, my husband can not move. I am not sure I would want to. I am not sure about a lot right now.

No comments: