Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Matt year 1

As Matt's 18th birthday approaches, I have decided to blog about his life. He feels this is beyond embarrassing. Too bad. We looked at the scrapbook baby book I made a few years back and it will be too hard to take those photos out so I will just describe and reflect.
Picture1-Matt is 4 weeks through his 8 week hospital stay. He is wrapped in a blue hospital baby blanket with a feeding tube coming out of his nose.
I remember so many things about the hospital stay-the wonderful nurses, the 3 NICU doctors including the one who wore cowboy boots.I think he was my favorite. I remember lots of hours feeding, holding and rocking in that room. I remember the IV in his head and the feelings of joy, frustration, anxiety and fear as we went about the 1st weeks of his life. I may have reacted to events differently if this were not my first child. Nothing prepared me for what our lives turned into having a child in the hospital for 8 weeks. I remember the Burger King on the way home. Did not help the weight problem. I still have stirrings of negative feelings when driving past the exit for the hospital. Fortunately, I am not in a position to do it often.

No comments: