Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

Tomorrow is Mother's Day and thanks to this lovely bout of cellulitis I do not know what if anything I will do to celebrate. I thought I would share some of my thoughts on being a mother for 17 years.

Mothers praise their kids creations no matter what. I recently have consumed biscuit/cookies and a strawberry chocolate smoothie from Kristen. Matt does not cook often which is a good thing since his creations scare me.

I still have most hand made cards, gifts, etc that they made for me. The card no longer works, but I remember the card that has Matt's voice saying Happy Mother's Day Mom, I love you.

No matter Irritating the teens are, I still love them, just not their actions. Like right now, when K put a piece of a biscuit on the dog's head. Dog is stupid.

I used to think the toddler state was the hardest to get through. Then came the 4-5 year old stage. During this stage Kristen came into Matt's life. Matt celebrated by covering a table at Kinder care with Thomas the tank engine stamps. Another time he rebelled against a professional photograph with his sister by decorating his face with war paint(markers) during nap time.

Who could forget his allergy to peas and mashed potatoes or his signups for camp for boys and the field trip he intended to run to the WKS railroad? Also digging for treasure in a snowbank and finding a garnet tennis bracelet?

Then came elementary school. Oh boy, did it come. Matt medicationless was like a Tasmanian devil. I wish we would have put him on it sooner. His elementary years were not the best even though his creativity was. I will never forget the letter he was supposed to write welcoming a new student to Paxtonia. Matt wrote this place is a white slave factory, escape while you can.

Kristen's elementary school years were less dramatic but were punctuated by her refusal to read because she could not do it better than Matt.

Onto middle school. Matt and Kristen both discovered a love of instrumental music. Matt was a challenge to do any work that did not interest him. Kristen was a rule follower.

Enough reflections for now. Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: